Drive-in movie theatre - recommendation?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudgy

Hi there,

This is my first EV type vehicle. Curious what people are doing at Drive-in movie theatres with the outlander PHEV (I have a 2024) .

Gas engines it was always easy, just put the keyed ignition back one setting to keep radio only on, or in push start vehicles, hit the button once to keep radio on and then start the vehicle in between movies, or once during.

As the season for that in Canada is starting again, it got me thinking what mode would I put the Outlander in? Would I just leave it fully running in EV only mode if I have sufficient ev battery? or is there a battery mode/setting/ignition I should put it in?

thanks,

Gas engines it was always easy, just put the keyed ignition back one setting to keep radio only on, or in push start vehicles, hit the button once to keep radio on and then start the vehicle in between movies, or once during.
That will drain your 12V battery in any type of vehicle. Bad for the battery and not advisable.
Turn the parking brake ON. Turn OFF the vehicle and turn it back ON in READY mode so the lights stay off and you will be using the big traction battery for radio and AC

Hi there,

This is my first EV type vehicle. Curious what people are doing at Drive-in movie theatres with the outlander PHEV (I have a 2024) .

As the season for that in Canada is starting again, it got me thinking what mode would I put the Outlander in? Would I just leave it fully running in EV only mode if I have sufficient ev battery? or is there a battery mode/setting/ignition I should put it in?

thanks,
This must be THE definition of a First World Problem.

That will drain your 12V battery in any type of vehicle. Bad for the battery and not advisable.
Turn the parking brake ON. Turn OFF the vehicle and turn it back ON in READY mode so the lights stay off and you will be using the big traction battery for radio and AC
My MY24 doesn't come with an off position for the headlights. It's Auto or On. I see in the manual there is a version where they provide an off position. Anyway, if you're going to a drive in you might want to make sure you can kill the lights! (Maybe being in Park overrides this?). Worse case scenario, get a small led flashlight and put it on the sensor located in the middle on the top of the dash.

if I understand your thoughts, is that I put the vehicle fully on in ready (or maybe push the ev button to keep it in ev) and that wouldn't do anything odd to the vehicle for 90-120mins movie ? If this something you have personally done or just your thoughts on it?

How is this comment helpful for my question? outlander has fantastic value for me, but I wasn't asking if the outlander had value for others.
I can't speak for @kpetrov but as I said before in relation to my comment - it was funny. You're very new to this Forum but already are coming across as a bit of a grump. Keep up that cheering up!

Unless, of course, you haven't refuelled for 90 days, so the ICE fires during the movie! 🤣

if I understand your thoughts, is that I put the vehicle fully on in ready (or maybe push the ev button to keep it in ev) and that wouldn't do anything odd to the vehicle for 90-120mins movie ? If this something you have personally done or just your thoughts on it?
Nothing odd will happen; personally tested (camping, using the 120V power).
(Edit: deleted incorrect statement that the car shuts down in 30 minutes; it is only the 120V power that gets shut down, not the car)

Last edited:
My MY24 doesn't come with an off position for the headlights. It's Auto or On. I see in the manual there is a version where they provide an off position. Anyway, if you're going to a drive in you might want to make sure you can kill the lights! (Maybe being in Park overrides this?). Worse case scenario, get a small led flashlight and put it on the sensor located in the middle on the top of the dash.
To update this, I tried everything I could think of to turn off the lights. I couldn't get either the Daytime Running Lights or the main headlights to turn off. I tried putting on the parking brake, I had the car in Park, and I tried starting the car without my foot on the brake. The version of light switch I have in my Outlander doesn't seem to allow the lights to be extinguished unless you turn off the car. Not a problem for me, but going to a drive in is out.

In some administrations, daylight running lights are mandatory while the car is running - I can't turn mine off here in England.

Martin

To update this, I tried everything I could think of to turn off the lights. I couldn't get either the Daytime Running Lights or the main headlights to turn off. I tried putting on the parking brake, I had the car in Park, and I tried starting the car without my foot on the brake. The version of light switch I have in my Outlander doesn't seem to allow the lights to be extinguished unless you turn off the car. Not a problem for me, but going to a drive in is out.
Did you think of pulling a fuse or relay? I guess not....

In some administrations, daylight running lights are mandatory while the car is running - I can't turn mine off here in England.

Martin
In Canada we have the DRL reulation as well. On my last car they only come on when the car is in a position other than park or neutral. I think the parking brake is involved too.

In Canada we have the DRL reulation as well. On my last car they only come on when the car is in a position other than park or neutral. I think the parking brake is involved too.
In most of Europe, they are on so long as the car is "started" - as in capable of moving if put in gear.

Martin

Back