Charging tips

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJWedlock

I've had my PHEV for 2 months now and have been charging it using my domestic point quite nicely (as well as a point installed which allows 16amp charge). I'm keen to make sure I'm keeping the battery healthy and I stumbled across the Mitsubishi website which said 'To maintain the capacity of the drive battery the vehicle should be charged using normal charging every two weeks and repeat charging near the full charge level should not be repeated'. What does repeat charging near the full level mean? Does that mean you shouldn't charge to 100% each time you charge?

PJWedlock said:
I've had my PHEV for 2 months now and have been charging it using my domestic point quite nicely (as well as a point installed which allows 16amp charge). I'm keen to make sure I'm keeping the battery healthy and I stumbled across the Mitsubishi website which said 'To maintain the capacity of the drive battery the vehicle should be charged using normal charging every two weeks and repeat charging near the full charge level should not be repeated'. What does repeat charging near the full level mean? Does that mean you shouldn't charge to 100% each time you charge?

No, It means that you should not frequently recharge from close to 100% - run the battery down a fair amount between charges

I agree with interpretation. Strangely enough, when you preheat the car for (e.g.) 10 minutes while hooked up to a charging station, you will loose about 200 Wh of energy and the car will try to top up the battery when the repeating is finished :shock:

Can I jump in and ask the opposite of that please. We charge at home (16amp) wall charger and mostly when the battery is empty. Sometimes my wife charges it for an hour or so in the day, not fully charged, before going out on a small journey.

Does not fully charging the battery harm it in anyway please?

fozziebear40 said:
Can I jump in and ask the opposite of that please. We charge at home (16amp) wall charger and mostly when the battery is empty. Sometimes my wife charges it for an hour or so in the day, not fully charged, before going out on a small journey.

Does not fully charging the battery harm it in anyway please?

I believe that Mitsubishi also seek to discourage this. I certainly try to avoid unnecessary charging cycles - now that the days are longer and warmer, my wife chooses to walk to the station and back with the result that a charge can last me almost the whole week.

Thanks, wow, a charge last a whole week? We are charging every night, sometimes a charge in the day. It is the odd daytime charge that gets ended half way through to drive somewhere.

fozziebear40 said:
Thanks, wow, a charge last a whole week? We are charging every night, sometimes a charge in the day. It is the odd daytime charge that gets ended half way through to drive somewhere.

My summer weekday usage generally consists of popping to the shops (I work from home) - even if I only get a 20 mile EV range, that gives me about 4 miles per day, so I can go most of the week on a single charge. It was far worse in the winter, of course.

Back