Battery life span will not be affected by PHEV mode selection?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woon Chung

After I bought Outlander PHEV, I was always curious about why there is a charging mode. I owned Hybrid before this car and it does not have charging mode, because computer controls charging sequence automatically. After a short period of searching here and there, including other issues, too, to learn about my new(not brand new, but 2022) PHEV information. So far, I concluded that this has less relation for driving efficiency, but much related in "EMERGENCY CASE". like extra power source during camping and short time of grid power outage. One example of the evidence is 120V 1500w outlet in GT model in North America. The behind story of this is that 2011 Tsunami in Japan. This disaster made Mitsubishi to install 3000w level inverter inside the car, even though it limits to 1500w by its own On/Off switch.

There are some different opinions in the forum for money saving by using charging mode during driving. In here, I would like to add that most general information of Lithium Ion Battery character of Life. This battery has limited life span according to full charging frequency. Thus, lot of devices which using Lithium Ion battery apply safety circuit to prevent full charge, at the same time apply safety circuit to prevent full discharge. to extend its life. We have to talk about Mitsubishi Drive Battery Life span, too, considering frequent use of charge mode.

In the old time, Internal Combustion engine lasts a couple of decade without any big issues when we maintain properly, even more than that. Lots of Volvo and Forester is still running on the street. Most popular reason to change the car is old fashion or lots of other fancy models in the market. But when it comes to EV, most of the car owner want to sell his or her car not to face the case of replacing battery. The cost of replacing battery is more expensive than the cost of replacing the ICE motor. The battery technology is advancing day by day, but still long way to go.

Could it be good to battery if I do not charge at all as if it drives like pure Hybrid car?
Could it be better for battery if I charge only 80% at wall charger?
Could it be no problem for battery life span if I charge 100% every night?
Could it be safe to battery if I use charge mode all the time during driving?

Please give me your idea regarding battery life span by how we use drive mode in OHEV

Using charge mode will slightly decrease the life of the battery, but it shuts off at 80% of user-space charge. Charge mode is equivalent to a fast charge.

The batteries have a fixed amount of charge/discharge cycles, but...

... running the battery to zero before recharging it, makes the battery wear out faster.

Mostly this is managed by the car's software.

A daily recharge is best for lithium polymer batteries, and there is no need to discharge to zero before doing it.

This is the opposite to NiCad batteries, where daily charging reduces the capability of the battery, and frequent discharge to zero is recommended.

Using charge mode will slightly decrease the life of the battery, but it shuts off at 80% of user-space charge. Charge mode is equivalent to a fast charge.

... running the battery to zero before recharging it, makes the battery wear out faster.

A daily recharge is best for lithium polymer batteries, and there is no need to discharge to zero before doing it.

This is the opposite to NiCad batteries, where daily charging reduces the capability of the battery, and frequent discharge to zero is recommended.
What a great advise.

I just started to run charge mode instead charging from AC outlet because I have to consume a certain quantity to maintain sound IDE because I drive short distance in a whole year. I have to quit this plan to save battery life.

I am really in dilemma as much as I search this forum. Every posts are not match with my case exactly.

As of today, I concluded that I have to consume 5 gal of gas every 90 days in order to maintain the regular performance of ICE. If I calculate this gasoline consuming, I have to run 150 miles with ICE running with gas engine for a quarter year, assuming Pure gas mileage of ICE only is 26 miles per gallon(11km/Liter), and 100mile from battery. This result that I have a chance 5 times of EV only mode for 90 days. Am I going right?. Am I wishy-washy guy?

I was expecting running whole year with EV mode. but it became a castle on the sand beach all of a sudden

Last edited:

And, like charging, decreasing the juice in the battery to 0 is not practically possible. I suppose if you have no gasoline and decide to go uphill at high speed ... but, otherwise when it goes to zero you still have 10 to 20% left and the ICE will be charging it (if you want it to or not).

Thanks always to you. I think you have broad and deep knowledge on electric field.
Then I can use charge mode with confidence to run ICE during driving not to sleep ICE for several months by using EV and Charge Overnight Only. I have to consume 4-5 gallon for 3 months disregarding my annual mileage is 1,000 miles, which is 83 miles per month and it becomes 3 miles per day. 20 miles a week. What a short driving miles journey.

Back