2014 Outlander Upgrade sound system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fresh-milk

I am looking for feedback on a possible new speaker, subwoofer and amp setup to upgrade the stock system in my 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander.

My main objective is to improve the sound quality and find that sweet spot of price to performance. I like good sound but I am NOT an audiophile, so getting that last 1-5% is not my thing as I likely will not notice.

The yellow highlights are the models I am thinking of. I am not sure how to balance the freq range of the different speakers or if I should even have it as a decision point.
  1. 3 & 4 way speakers for the rear - is this asking too much of the speakers? Or should I stick with 2 ways as better sound and I am looking to add a sub for the low end
  2. Amplifier Sony XMN1004 - picked it as price seems decent and Sony. But will it be able to drive the Component speakers?
  3. Component Pioneer TS-A1601C - picked it as 6.5", highest RMS and widest Freq Range. But if sticking with Sony amp should I stick with component speakers that are 70w and under?
  4. Rear 2 way JVC CS-DR621 - picked it as 6.5", and highest RMS in the 6.5." list
  5. Is it better to stick with single brand of component and rear speakers? Or are they quite happy being different?
  6. Not included here is upgrade of stock head unit to after market Android head unit
    1. Anyone had experience with Android replacement unit with model recommendations?
Many thanks!

1722482943484.png

If you're of a technical bent, you should look at the product range from 'Mini DSP'.

https://www.minidsp.com/

(Or find an audio supplier that uses them as part of their install.)

You can configure them into quite complex crossover setups to manage sets of speakers.

I have one in my lounge room, and it is configured to:

1) Apply a couple of filters to remove hot spots in the bass register and,
2) Allow me to use a five channel power amp to provide separate bass and mid/treble feeds to my speakers (which are intended to be bi-amped in this fashion).

Yes, I am an actual audiophile, but I don't believe in any of the wank.

If I can't measure it on a meter, it doesn't exist.

:)

I was also thinking of upgrading the factory sound system in my GX4hs especially for some much needed bass.

I’m envious of the US-spec models with the boot (trunk) mounted Rockford Fosgate factory subwoofer.

My local car audio centre sells Audison, Pioneer, Hertz and Focal components and offer custom installation and upgrades including extra sound deadening material and various Apple Car Play/Android Auto/Google/TV head unit upgrades.

I may reach out and ask what they would recommend.

I know the top of the range GX5h and hs models came with Alpine speakers but I’m not sure if that included a separate subwoofer?

I have found the factory Rockford Fosgate subwoofer for sale second hand but I wouldn’t have a clue how to fit or wire it in. I wonder if the factory wiring loom is already behind the plastic boot trim ready to be connected?

Wishful thinking…

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 0
I was also thinking of upgrading the factory sound system in my GX4hs especially for some much needed bass.

I’m envious of the US-spec models with the boot (trunk) mounted Rockford Fosgate factory subwoofer.

My local car audio centre sells Audison, Pioneer, Hertz and Focal components and offer custom installation and upgrades including extra sound deadening material and various Apple Car Play/Android Auto/Google/TV head unit upgrades.

I may reach out and ask what they would recommend.

I know the top of the range GX5h and hs models came with Alpine speakers but I’m not sure if that included a separate subwoofer?

I have found the factory Rockford Fosgate subwoofer for sale second hand but I wouldn’t have a clue how to fit or wire it in. I wonder if the factory wiring loom is already behind the plastic boot trim ready to be connected?

Wishful thinking…
Are those photos of your custom install?

I had similar ideas of retro installing the Rockford sub in the rear but thought it would be too much faffing around vs an underseat sub.

I had similar ideas of retro installing the Rockford sub in the rear but thought it would be too much faffing around vs an underseat sub.

No sorry, these are just pics I found online of the factory rear sub fitted in certain markets.

Back