Remote app failure following Android system update

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fortune7

Hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere (I did look!)

After being badgered by my phone (Samsung Galaxy 5s) to update to the new 'Lollipop' android operating system, my Mitsubishi remote app doesn't connect. I have tried re-registering several times with the procedure and details provided with the car (confirmed 'beeps' after the fob lock/unlock malarkey) and just get a 'Registration Failure, try again' message. I even un-installed the app and re-downloaded; still no good. I'm quite sure I followed everything as instructed. Any ideas please? I have my doubts the dealer will be able to help......

Cheers, Andy

Interesting - I had heard that the backwards compatibility of Lollipop was rather less than 100% - thanks for the warning - I will postpone the upgrade (when it finally gets offered to me)!

The CAR requires that you UN-Register the android app BEFORE you do the android 5 upgrade - if you don't the App does not have the correct registration details because it has built a new security code from the Op sys...

Once Android 5 is installed - Register the app with the car following the registration procedure in the app...

dgmulti said:
The CAR requires that you UN-Register the android app BEFORE you do the android 5 upgrade - if you don't the App does not have the correct registration details because it has built a new security code from the Op sys...

Once Android 5 is installed - Register the app with the car following the registration procedure in the app...

Thanks for the replies. David, does this mean the app works successfully after the android update? If so it's encouraging news as I just have to work at fixing it. However, as per the original posting I have done all I know to resolve the issue, including de/re- install of the app and several attempts to re-register after the update. I also cleared the system cache on advice from others who have lollipop trouble. Perhaps there's still remnants of the app (pre-update) which need to be deleted but how to do this apart from uninstall?
Cheers, Andy

Fortune7 said:
dgmulti said:

Thanks for the replies. David, does this mean the app works successfully after the android update? If so it's encouraging news as I just have to work at fixing it. However, as per the original posting I have done all I know to resolve the issue, including de/re- install of the app and several attempts to re-register after the update. I also cleared the system cache on advice from others who have lollipop trouble. Perhaps there's still remnants of the app (pre-update) which need to be deleted but how to do this apart from uninstall?
Cheers, Andy

You may have to do a full reset of the wifi interface on the car - mine locked up a couple of months ago (nothing to do with Android updates) and that was the only way I could get the phone and car paired again. The instructions are out on the Mitsubishi website somewhere - perhaps someone else can remember? They do involve an amazingly large number of presses on the key fob buttons!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/outlander_phev/app/remote/jizen.html

To get mine back connected I only needed to do this bit:-
If you want to continue to use the Mitsubishi Remote Control Application after the registration information is deleted from the vehicle, it is necessary to use the "Cancel VIN Registration" in "Settings" of Mitsubishi Remote Control Application, and you need to register your wireless device to your vehicle again.
Go into the APP - if will probably say Register or Demo - select Demo and go to settings - touch "Cancel VIN Registration"...

The close app and make sure its out of background as well...
Follow Registration procedure on Page link above....

the car doesn't need the app to be de-registered for this, though I recognise it may be wise/best practice. I upgraded my S5 from KitKat to lollipop at the weekend and the app continued to work fine, ( hadn't realised the advice was to de-register), mine just picked up where it left off. S5 with vodafone, standard set up. Looks like I was lucky!
HJB

Back