On Board Charger

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardneal

Hi Everyone
I have a question regarding the OBC and battery as a stand alone home power supply. I know that the OBC is set up to do V2G energy supply. I also know that the new wallbox and a few other home chargers that are set to come to market by next year will let you use the battery as a back up to you grid. But what I dont know is if i got a OBC and battery from a wrecked Outlander Phev would I be able to use it as a storage device with out the whole car. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Thank You for your time and help. Neal

wardneal said:
Hi Everyone
I have a question regarding the OBC and battery as a stand alone home power supply. I know that the OBC is set up to do V2G energy supply. I also know that the new wallbox and a few other home chargers that are set to come to market by next year will let you use the battery as a back up to you grid. But what I dont know is if i got a OBC and battery from a wrecked Outlander Phev would I be able to use it as a storage device with out the whole car. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Thank You for your time and help. Neal

yes, in theory. but there are probably cheaper and easier ways out there. i worked with Nissan on the implementation of their 2nd life Leaf batteries as home storage, so know a bit about it. the V2G chargers are going to be ridiculously expensive to start with and they interface with the DC directly rather than the OBC.

Thanks Littlescrote.
I just am looking for a good sized battery for peak demand at my business. Grid charge at night and grid feed for my peaks. Even though my energy consumption is very little now with the solar panels the Electric power company still sticks me for the peak demand every month. So far i have not seen a good option that is less than $14000. I may just have to wait till next year and get the wallbox charger it is around $4000 and will give me the v2g.

I understand that Tesla have started including V2G in their onboard charger, including an inverter, so can work with their existing wall boxes.

Back