How long/distance to regenerate battery to 80%

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklight

Good morning,

Trying to work out if Outlander Phev would be suitable for a commute like mine and what the fuel costs will be but don't know the answer to the above.

My commute is 17 miles to work average speed 20mph with the return being 15 miles average speed 23mph, types of road are detailed below

To Work Return
A Roads 3 miles average speed 30mph A Roads 7 miles aveage speed 35mph
B Roads 9 miles average speed 27mph B Roads 2 miles average speed 40mph
Dual Carriage Way 2 miles average speed 36mph Dual Carriage 2 miles average speed 60mph
Urban 3 miles average speed 9mph Urban 4 miles average speed 12 mph

I've read that the car will run on electric power for an average of 25 miles, so the last 7 miles of my return journey would be on petrol power at an average speed of 28mph would this be enough to recharge the battery up to 80% and what average petrol mpg could I achieve over those 7 miles.

Sparklight said:
the last 7 miles of my return journey would be on petrol power at an average speed of 28mph would this be enough to recharge the battery up to 80% and what average petrol mpg could I achieve over those 7 miles.
Absolutely not. This would require charging twice as fast as a Chademo charger ... while driving. But why would you want to do so, if I may ask?

anko said:
Sparklight said:
the last 7 miles of my return journey would be on petrol power at an average speed of 28mph would this be enough to recharge the battery up to 80% and what average petrol mpg could I achieve over those 7 miles.
Absolutely not. This would require charging twice as fast as a Chademo charger ... while driving. But why would you want to do so, if I may ask?

Exactly - although you need to burn some petrol every now and then to "maintain the fuel system" so long as you SAVE EV for the slow urban parts then just do this during the high speed sections. Or are you saying you have no overnight charging facilities?

Sparklight said:
Good morning,

Trying to work out if Outlander Phev would be suitable for a commute like mine and what the fuel costs will be but don't know the answer to the above.

My commute is 17 miles to work average speed 20mph with the return being 15 miles average speed 23mph, types of road are detailed below

To Work Return
Dual Carriage Way 2 miles average speed 36mph Dual Carriage 2 miles average speed 60mph

I've read that the car will run on electric power for an average of 25 miles, so the last 7 miles of my return journey would be on petrol power at an average speed of 28mph would this be enough to recharge the battery up to 80% and what average petrol mpg could I achieve over those 7 miles.

If you can do 25 miles on pure EV, then you'll be doing 7 miles on petrol. Let's assume you get 40mpg for those 7 miles, so you'll be using 0.175 gallons of petrol. If you take your entire journey of 32 miles, and divide by 0.175 gallons, you'll be getting 182 mpg for your full journey there and back.

Assuming you gave it a full charge at home to begin with, you need to factor in the cost of electricity. Roughly £1 for a full charge, which equates to 0.22 of a gallon at current prices. So your adjusted mpg for the full journey is 32 miles, divided by 0.395 gallons, which is 81mpg.

Your commute is perfect for a car like this in my opinion, as long as you can charge it daily at home. You also need to think about how many other journeys you do. If you do lots of other distance driving in addition to your daily commute, then it becomes less attractive. I have a 26 mile round trip each day (and am currently getting most of that bar 2 or 3 miles on pure EV) with occasional longer motorway journeys. The benefits that I gain on my daily commutes more than outweigh the fact that motorway mpg is less than it would be in the equivalent diesel.

Bear in mind also that you won't get 25 miles on EV in colder weather, as battery performance is worse and you are likely to want the heater on.

Once you get to know the car and how it performs on your commute, you can use the save button to pick which parts of your journey are done on petrol, i.e. to ensure that the miles you are having to drive on petrol are done in the most fuel efficient manner possible.

anko said:
Sparklight said:

I read somewhere that the battery could be regenerated whilst driving up to 80% in half an hour but it did not say at what average speed or distance hence the question,

Sparklight said:
anko said:
Sparklight said:

I read somewhere that the battery could be regenerated whilst driving up to 80% in half an hour but it did not say at what average speed or distance hence the question,
I just say, I am more comfortable with the metric system, but if I am not mistaken, 7 miles @ 28 mph takes you about 15 minutes, not half an hour :idea:

And even then, it may do so when parked. But I don't think it will do so while driving.

You can charge the battery from the engine, but for your journey you're better off running on the engine for the few miles that you need to.

Charging from the engine is recommended if you have a flat battery, no opportunity to charge it and some demanding driving ahead (eg hills or towing) where it is best to have electric as well as petrol power available.

I have occasionally put a bit of charge back in to the battery when I've been cruising on the motorway knowing that I have an urban section at the end of my journey, but I don't know if this is really more efficient than simply running on the engine for the end of the journey - but it is certainly more fun being able to complete the journey in stealth mode :)

As long as you can do an overnight charge at home each night, your commute sounds ideal for the car.

anko said:
I just say, I am more comfortable with the metric system, but if I am not mistaken, 7 miles @ 28 mph takes you about 15 minutes, not half an hour :idea:

And even then, it may do so when parked. But I don't think it will do so while driving.[/quote]

The other website I looked at said the battery could be regenerated in 30 mins of driving (presume using the charge button) to 80%, so would this mean over my 15 mins on petrol the battery would be back up to 40% ? therefore requiring less time to charge up to 100% charge.

geoffshep69 said:
Sparklight said:
Good morning,

To Work Return

If you can do 25 miles on pure EV, then you'll be doing 7 miles on petrol. Let's assume you get 40mpg for those 7 miles, so you'll be using 0.175 gallons of petrol. If you take your entire journey of 32 miles, and divide by 0.175 gallons, you'll be getting 182 mpg for your full journey there and back.

Assuming you gave it a full charge at home to begin with, you need to factor in the cost of electricity. Roughly £1 for a full charge, which equates to 0.22 of a gallon at current prices. So your adjusted mpg for the full journey is 32 miles, divided by 0.395 gallons, which is 81mpg.

Your commute is perfect for a car like this in my opinion, as long as you can charge it daily at home. You also need to think about how many other journeys you do. If you do lots of other distance driving in addition to your daily commute, then it becomes less attractive. I have a 26 mile round trip each day (and am currently getting most of that bar 2 or 3 miles on pure EV) with occasional longer motorway journeys. The benefits that I gain on my daily commutes more than outweigh the fact that motorway mpg is less than it would be in the equivalent diesel.

Bear in mind also that you won't get 25 miles on EV in colder weather, as battery performance is worse and you are likely to want the heater on.

Once you get to know the car and how it performs on your commute, you can use the save button to pick which parts of your journey are done on petrol, i.e. to ensure that the miles you are having to drive on petrol are done in the most fuel efficient manner possible.

I average 10500 miles a year roughly split as follows

7360 commuting
1500 local journeys
500 towing an un-braked 500kg trailer tent
1140 motorway journeys

What mpg or litres per 100 kms do people get for urban, A road and motorway journeys respectively

Thanks

anko said:
Sparklight said:
... therefore requiring less time to charge up to 100% charge.
Bck to my question: why would you? You bought a plug-in hybrid vehicle. Why treat it as a normal hybrid vehicle?

If I brought an Outlander phev it would be my intention to use it as phev the majority of the time, but there be times on a motorway journey when it would be useful to recharge the battery whilst driving.

One of the journeys I do is a 120 mile motorway journey which usually takes 120 mins so do this with out stopping, on this journey if I do say 20 miles on electric power, would the rest of the journey be on petrol or a combination of petrol & electric if the charge button was pressed?

Thanks

Sparklight said:
geoffshep69 said:
Sparklight said:
Good morning,

To Work Return

I average 10500 miles a year roughly split as follows

7360 commuting
1500 local journeys
500 towing an un-braked 500kg trailer tent
1140 motorway journeys

What mpg or litres per 100 kms do people get for urban, A road and motorway journeys respectively

Thanks

Anyone ?

Sparklight If I brought an Outlander phev it would be my intention to use it as phev the majority of the time said:
It would be helpful if you would explain why you think it would be useful to recharge the battery whilst driving.

It would also be useful to know where you are (roughly, maybe even which country) as ambient temperatures affect EV range.

If you have the time please update your profile.

JimB

Claymore said:
Sparklight If I brought an Outlander phev it would be my intention to use it as phev the majority of the time said:
It would be helpful if you would explain why you think it would be useful to recharge the battery whilst driving.

It would also be useful to know where you are (roughly, maybe even which country) as ambient temperatures affect EV range.

If you have the time please update your profile.

JimB

Profile updated, as previously mentioned there is a motorway journey which is 120 miles and takes 2 hours in my current diesel car with no stops and would like to know that if I was to start the journey on , press the charge button after the battery had been depleted, run on petrol until battery up to 80% capacity, then back on electric driving & so on until journey end. I presume Mitshubushi fitted the charge button for such a sscenario as mine ?

Only if you are going to use that electricity in circumstances that make it efficient like city driving, mountains, etc. On a motorway at 70 mph the charging will be minimal. though, and you will most likely deplete rather than fill the battery.

jaapv said:
Only if you are going to use that electricity in circumstances that make it efficient like city driving, mountains, etc. On a motorway at 70 mph the charging will be minimal. though, and you will most likely deplete rather than fill the battery.

Thank you for the clarification on using the charge button on a motorway journey as mine.

What mpg can I expect to get in motorway driving ?

Sparklight said:
jaapv said:

Thank you for the clarification on using the charge button on a motorway journey as mine.

What mpg can I expect to get in motorway driving ?

That's quite speed dependant. I generally cruise at 60 and expect to get about 42mpg. Last night I was in a bit of a hurry and did 70 most of the way here and ended up with 39 mpg.

jaapv said:
On a motorway at 70 mph the charging will be minimal. though, and you will most likely deplete rather than fill the battery.
Indeed. That is what we say. But is it?

Did a short trip to Germany last night to find out .....

Between 9985 and 9990 I am doing 142 km/h (real) and more than 15 kW is fed into the battery .... Now, the tools I use are not professional tools, but it seems there is a bit of spare power available left and right. If Germany was a bit closer, I would try again tonight and measure over longer distance. Unfortunately ...

high%20speed%20charging_zpso1om2ms8.jpg

Shamusj said:
What do the red and blue lines, and the axis represent please?
Very good question, indeed :oops:

Blue is speed, peeking at 160 km/h real (left Y-axis).
Red is kW going into (when positive) or out of (when negative) the battery. Highest discharge value -60 and a bit kW. Highest charge value 37 kW (right Y-axis).

X-axis is just a counter, counting read cycles.

Back