growling noise coming from engine bay, but its not the engine

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller hogg

Hi ,new here and hoping someone can shed some light on an issue that has just arisen on day 1 of my trip to france. nearest Mitsubishi garage cant fit me in for 10 days and i was wondering if anyone can identify issue from video or if i am safe to continue driving car without causing more issues. no noise when not moving, low growl at low speeds and increases as speed increases. no power issue on acceleration, no safety lights on, etc.

Attachments

• video 1.mp4
    2 MB
  • video 2.mp4
    5 MB
It could be an acoustical vehicle alerting system (AVAS) either original or an after market version.

See this for example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007089979897.html

It sounds like it is simulating engine revs.

If you find yourself an nice empty parking area, you and a friend could run some checks.

AVAS comes on as soon as the vehicle starts moving, and stops at 60 km/h.

Having one person walking next to the car, while it is making the noise would help you find where it is. (Try this with the bonnet open and shut).

AVAS is a speaker under the front bumper (I think).

If you've owned the car for a long time, and are certain that it is not something like the above, I'd suggest it could be a failing bearing (typically a wheel bearing), and it's not a good idea to continue driving without addressing the cause.

thank you, i was driving at 130kmh on the french autoroute and it was always there, just higher pitch due to speed. i have decided to just declare it as a breakdown and undriveable and claim hire car through my euro breakdown cover and hand it into the mitsibushi garage to sort as soon as they can. as you say, i have been lucky so far by driving it, i dont want to push that luck any further. thanks for response.

Have you got roof bars? If the rubber strip filling the mounting channel is damaged (e.g. by monkeys in a drive through animal park 🐵) then you would certainly get noise issues at that sort of speed - as I know from personal experience! 🤣

My 2014 :
Turn on - no AVAS sound.
Put into D with handbrake on and foot OFF footbrake, car not moving - AVAS comes on and can be heard.

Was the car in EV only, or was the ICE on too ?

Back