Garmin Smartphone Link

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispyduck

Hi All. I have installed this App on my phone and bought the traffic and camera package, however I cant get the app to sync through Bluetooth with the sat nav.

I've managed to get into the MMC and the Bluetooth settings show the Smartphone link app as being available but just won't connect.

Has anyone else had problems with this App and connectivity?

Many thanks

Chris

Just seen this and it has piqued my interest - what are you expecting it to do? I'm not aware of any smartphone app that can interact with the satnav in the car...

I have to agree - as far as I know the bluetooth connection is purely limited to audio & phone. It would be nice to hack it though ;)

I think it would be a lot more than a "hack" - that Garmin software is designed to work with the firmware in Garmin satnavs - it would be necessary to replace the Navteq firmware in the Outlander with something from Garmin!

Here is the link to the product.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/mobile/apps/smartphone-link/prod111441.html

On my Bluetooth screen on the Multimedia system it shows this as available and allows you to select a button to connect to it.

Let me know if you get any joy.

Chris

I know the application, I just don't see any reason to believe that it will work with the satnav in an Outlander. the description of the application says:

"Smartphone Link is a free app that allows your Garmin nüvi to receive real time information such as traffic, mobile safety cameras, weather and much more. It also shares locations with your compatible Smartphone so you can navigate that last mile to your destination, and back to find your parked car."

The satnav in an Outlander is Navteq - not Garmin

P.S. Your signature says you have a GX3h - surely that does not have satnav anyway, does it?

maby said:
I know the application, I just don't see any reason to believe that it will work with the satnav in an Outlander. the description of the application says:

"Smartphone Link is a free app that allows your Garmin nüvi to receive real time information such as traffic, mobile safety cameras, weather and much more. It also shares locations with your compatible Smartphone so you can navigate that last mile to your destination, and back to find your parked car."

P.S. Your signature says you have a GX3h - surely that does not have satnav anyway, does it?

Hi. I specified the MMCS as an extra and the Smartphone link is on the Bluetooth list as available to connect (just won't) so I must have a Garmin satnav system. The MMCS is the 4230 model with digital radio.

Chrispyduck said:
maby said:

Hi. I specified the MMCS as an extra and the Smartphone link is on the Bluetooth list as available to connect (just won't) so I must have a Garmin satnav system. The MMCS is the 4230 model with digital radio.

when you start the car, does the display screen show the warnings screen complete with language selection menu? If so, what does it say in the lower left corner of the screen? Mine (the standard supplied with a GX4h) shows the Navteq logo - not Garmin.

Chrispyduck said:
maby said:

Ah, ok - I did a web search and found that unit - it is a Kenwood device and is, indeed, Garmin based. It is, however, nothing like the unit installed as standard in GX4h spec cars, so most of us here are not qualified to comment on your question - you probably need to talk to Kenwood support...

See http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/tccc/DNX4230BT/

maby said:
Chrispyduck said:
maby said:

when you start the car, does the display screen show the warnings screen complete with language selection menu? If so, what does it say in the lower left corner of the screen? Mine (the standard supplied with a GX4h) shows the Navteq logo - not Garmin.

Hi Maby. Here's the link to the model I have. It wasn't cheap at £1500 for the upgrade but worth it as Garmin is much better than most alternatives. http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/all_in_one/DNX4230DAB/

Back