EV System Service required

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronbarel

Hello to all,
I am new on this Forum, and already have a question.
Since 2 weeks , I get the “EV System Service required “ message/alarm on my dashboard.
It comes on after driving a little while.
Nothing happens when , I continue to drive, and it’s off again the next time I start the car.
I took it to Mitsubishi Garage in Spain, where they told me , the Auxiliary battery needs replacing.
It is 3 years old, and costs for replacing : € 900,- !
When I called my previous garage in Holland to get a second opinion, the technician asked me, If perhaps not all 4 tires were off the same brand.
I have 2 Michelin tires, and 2 GoodYear tires.
According to him , different sets of tires could mean that wheels are spinning at different speeds, and this gets the electronics of the EV System, confused, and sets of the alarm.
Anybody any advice, or have has the same problem ?
Thanks
Ron

has the 12v aux battery ever been run flat?

Worth checking it's voltage (can do this from the jump-start connector under the bonnet, and perhaps hook it to a smart charger if its below 12.2V.

As for replacing it, it isn't difficult and would be much cheaper to source a replacement AGM and do it yourself than get a stealer to do it.

As for different brands, Mine also has 2 different brands on axle pairs and I've not had any running issues. I've read here tho that if they are very different tread levels that may occur?

Worth checking it's voltage (can do this from the jump-start connector under the bonnet, and perhaps hook it to a smart charger if its below 12.2V.

As for replacing it, it isn't difficult and would be much cheaper to source a replacement AGM and do it yourself than get a stealer to do it.

As for different brands, Mine also has 2 different brands on axle pairs and I've not had any running issues. I've read here tho that if they are very different tread levels that may occur?
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your assist.
Yes, recently the battery also ran flat as well, while I already had tge warning of EV System Service required fir 2 weeks.
I had all kind if different warning messages on my dashboard and couldn’t start the car.
I charged the battery overnight and the car started as regular the next morning.
As such, I get convinced that the real problem is the auxiliary battery and not the different set of tires.
Can I buy any brand to replace the battery by myself ?
Thanks.

You'd need to do a search online for compatible replacements, there's an Optima 36AH that I fitted to mine since at the time the 45AH ones were not available but there's a number that'll fit. Just be sure to get one that's AGM and has the terminals the right size and way round. Most battery suppliers will likely have a list of options, you may need to adapt the vent tube fitment depending on which battery you get. :)

I have a 2016 Outlander PHEV - it has Conti's on the back and Goodyear on the front - its perfectly happy with this . . .
When the Conti's were on the front it was impossible to set the tracking, suspect an issue with one or other tyre - but they are happy on the back of the car and I don't see a reason to replace them . . .

Back