Cost per mile?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neergh

Hi

This is my first post on this forum and collecting a 2015 GX4Hs on Saturday.

I've been looking at Fuelly and member's fuel consumption figures with interest. The consumption does not include how many kWH you manage to get from charging.

Is there a better measure to use for fuel cost per mile (or km). Combining kWh/mile and mpg? Then you would be able to compare the actual cost per mile/km?

You can do no better than many of us newbies have but to trawl through the many helpful threads / posts on here.

Tedious? Tell me about it!

After a few seconds of trawling I found this;

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1942

...........which may not be the concise answer you seek but may be a useful start on your new and (probably) long journey.

;)

JimB

What exactly is it you are looking for ? Provided you know how much you spend on petrol between fill ups, and how much you have spent on electricity over that period, its pretty starightforward to work out the cost per mile ?

For me, my last fill up cost about £27 and my electricity cost me about £32. I’d done c. 900 miles between fill ups, so the cost per mile for that worked out at about 6.5p (5900 / 900). My petrol mpg was about 151 mpg, and if I factor in the cost of electricity and assume that I had spent that on petrol, my adjusted overall mpg is c. 70 mpg.

I have a dedicated charging point which has its own meter so I know exactly how many kWh I have used, and I know from my electricity bill that they cost me 10.7p each. If you don’t have a dedicated meter then you can use MMCS to give you a decent estimate of electricity cost.

Obviously the cost per mile varies as the cost of fuel and electricity changes, so I’m not sure there is any kind of magical formula. I’m content to just do a calculation each time I fill up to get an idea of what overall mpg I am getting.

Thanks for the information on your fuel usage. Collecting my car in a couple of days so unfamiliar with the metering on board.

Just thinking about ways to measure the cost of running a phev not just on mpg. What I'm trying to say is that cost per mile might be a better measure of the cost of running the car Now found another thread on the subject. Could convert petrol to kWh then simpler to relate the two.

I've got a power outlet on order so will fit a kWh meter.

Back