Factory Outlander PHEV 2.0 air filter element half blanked off?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This OEM Mit parts is selling for just $25, believe it or not, plus about $25 shipping. I had 2 sets of these LED lights, one for back up. Do you know how much the dealers in America want for this...like $400 to $500 bucks...a markup of like 2000% for the same OEM parts. My first set of $25 was installed in 2018 & still running good. Cheap doesn't mean it is bad but our greed in America is really bad! The costs to manufacture the same OEM car parts to the same spec in China are about 10% to 25% of that in America, Europe or Japan but the savings are not passed on to consumers here in America.

PS: Being an engineer myself, I know what I am buying.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What we are looking here!?
Those two filters are not interchangeable...! Completely different shape.
Please read original post.

Rectangular, blue air filter element is what I've pulled out of the air box of my 2023 Outlander PHEV, and is correct and fits well. I relied on the replacement parts fitment guide at Rockauto.com and input my vehicle year, make, model, etc. The WIX air filter element is what they sent me as a replacement. Doesn't fit, as you noted. I looked at the websites of 4 or 5 different auto parts retailers in my area. All of them specified a part that looks like the (wrong) WIX filter in the photos.

They must all use some universal, subscription-based vehicle fitment guide database, and it's just wrong on this part

I've reached out to rockauto.com and they've been less than accommodating.

I've reached out to a vendor of the only universal vehicle fitment I could find and they didn't even reply.

So, I figured that an Outlander forum might have someone else with a 2023 Outlander PHEV who may have found a source, part number, etc. for the correct replacement air filter element, possibly from a source other than a dealership.

Anyway, thanks for asking. 😎

We are not talking about rocket science here, I have compared the quality of the filter paper versus those of OEM, they work & fit perfectly. Other mechanical & electrical auto parts , yes, get OEM.
What testing was done to compare the filtration and efficiency of those no name filters? It is not about where it comes from, its more about the lack of any details on that product.

Again I would buy the cheapest part store filter over a no-name unbranded piece from ali-express or alibaba. It has nothing to do on the country its from

https://www.project200.com.au/filter-testing/

Please read original post.

Rectangular, blue air filter element is what I've pulled out of the air box of my 2023 Outlander PHEV, and is correct and fits well. I relied on the replacement parts fitment guide at Rockauto.com and input my vehicle year, make, model, etc. The WIX air filter element is what they sent me as a replacement. Doesn't fit, as you noted. I looked at the websites of 4 or 5 different auto parts retailers in my area. All of them specified a part that looks like the (wrong) WIX filter in the photos.

They must all use some universal, subscription-based vehicle fitment guide database, and it's just wrong on this part

I've reached out to rockauto.com and they've been less than accommodating.

I've reached out to a vendor of the only universal vehicle fitment I could find and they didn't even reply.

So, I figured that an Outlander forum might have someone else with a 2023 Outlander PHEV who may have found a source, part number, etc. for the correct replacement air filter element, possibly from a source other than a dealership.

Anyway, thanks for asking. 😎
Can you put up a picture of the whole engine bay so we can get the context.
Is this a 2L or a 2.4L Engine and what Country are you in ?
(It would be useful if everyone included location/vehicle in their profile)

The debate about the size of the filter ignores the deliberate tuned cavities (the two added stubs and the chamber created under the "blanked off" filter, these are all part of the intake design (think Organ Pipes) and effect sound and also torque.
My own 2.4L UK model has the "blanked off filter".

Anybody try to install that "half blocked off" air filter element?

It doesn't fit the air box of my 2023 Outlander PHEV at all. There appears to be an error in the fitment guide database that all, or nearly all, of the parts stores (online and brick & mortar) use. Rockauto.com's website which has been amazing for so many other vehicle parts I've purchased over the years, specified the WIX WA11191 which is one of those "half blocked off" designs. Well it arrived and doesn't even come close to fitting!

I took out the factory (rectangular) air filter element and it's a DENSO 1500A831.

I can't find these sold ANYWHERE except the dealership.

No cross-reference guide listings or anything like that. It seems so basic and familiar as just a standard, rectangular air filter element; that I have a hard time imagining there are other, readily available, air filter elements that would match up, fit in, and perform as good as that factory DENSO 1500A831 air filter element.

If anyone has a manufacturer & part number for a RECTANGULAR air filter element (not the "half blocked off" variety), could you please share it here??

So much that I like about this vehicle, but this is pretty crazy that the only place to obtain an air filter element is from the dealership (and all other parts sellers will happily sell you the wrong one). 😳
That part number is not the Denso part number. That is the OEM part number.

The Denso stamp is on it because it is who makes it.

As its for the current Gen outlander your best bet would be emailing Denso or Wix and getting the part numbers. I assume their database is not updated yet for those.

Every part store site assumes no change probably because the engine is the same from the 21-24. Looks like the housing is different

Can you put up a picture of the whole engine bay so we can get the context.
Is this a 2L or a 2.4L Engine and what Country are you in ?
(It would be useful if everyone included location/vehicle in their profile)

The debate about the size of the filter ignores the deliberate tuned cavities (the two added stubs and the chamber created under the "blanked off" filter, these are all part of the intake design (think Organ Pipes) and effect sound and also torque.
My own 2.4L UK model has the "blanked off filter".
USA
2.4L MIVEC Gas Engine on PHEV

There is no room in the air box for the larger filter with the blanked off area.

See photo1000033800.jpg

That part number is not the Denso part number. That is the OEM part number.

The Denso stamp is on it because it is who makes it.

As its for the current Gen outlander your best bet would be emailing Denso or Wix and getting the part numbers. I assume their database is not updated yet for those.

Every part store site assumes no change probably because the engine is the same from the 21-24. Looks like the housing is different
Thank you. I'll try to email those manufacturers.

They must have changed the design. The blue filter is for 2023 PHEV while the white one is the same one as my 2018 PHEV (2 lit US model)

They must have changed the design. The blue filter is for 2023 PHEV while the white one is the same one as my 2018 PHEV (2 lit US model)
Exactly. My gas engine is the 2.4L MIVEC Gas Engine in a USA 2023 Outlander PHEV.

Different engine, different air box, different air filter element.

As someone else suggested, they just kept the fitment guide with an air filter element for a last year's model, which was the 2.0L that you're familiar with. You'd think this would reflect poorly on a company who's whole deal is to provide correct fitment information. You might even think they would have an easy process to report suggestions that there data may be wrong, so they'd know where they're starting to fail and then they could assign someone to follow up and get the correct fitment information into their database/fitment guide; but I haven't found that to be the case.

If anyone knows how to do a better job at reaching out to the fitment guide companies, I'm all ears. 😎

The white one covers covers the PHEVs up until 2022 (US years) (2.0 and 2.4 for the US) The new generation has a redesigned airbox and uses a new filter. The Desno pictured.
Thank you.

Do you know any places to purchase that new/blue one; or perhaps a correct part number?

Obviously the dealership has them, but call me old fashioned; I don't relish paying $40+ for a air filter element.

USA
2.4L MIVEC Gas Engine on PHEV

There is no room in the air box for the larger filter with the blanked off area.

See photoView attachment 1284
Yes Its clearly a different design of airbox. I expect the emission regs are different in the USA compared to EU, so that is the clue to the difference.
It might be interesting to do a line by line comparison of the Powertrain specs (EU Vs US), does peak Torque/Power occur at a different RPM etc.
I was interested in a full engine bay pic to see what Tuning Stubs have been added to the airbox in/out pipework.

Thank you.

Do you know any places to purchase that new/blue one; or perhaps a correct part number?

Obviously the dealership has them, but call me old fashioned; I don't relish paying $40+ for a air filter element.
If you are in the US any Mitsu parts site will tell you the part number. Unfortunately I do not see any aftermarket companies selling the filter yet. You can input the dimensions of the filter into wix and they will sell you one that is like size.

Partsouq has no diagrams for the next gen outlander yet either.

I recommend emailing Wix or Denso to get more info on an aftermarket filter. IMO they will probably send you one for free to brining this to their attention.

Back