Ev system service required after 100 mile drive - stranded

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read your post on disabling the relay. That's cool if you are in control. It's a big problem when you are presented with a dashboard full of errors and nothing in the traction battery. The first time (2016) it prevented the ICE from starting - as your hack does. It took me a week to sort it. OBD was no help. The local dealer was no help either. The second time (Last year), the other relay totally disabled the car. No ready status and no EV driving possible. That happened at the M40 services near Oxford. Not a good place to break down. Fortunately I had a spare relay and was on my way within 15 minutes as I knew what to look for. I still carry a spare relay. These relays caused the only breakdowns I have had in 10 years ownership.
Yea, I got you. Discovering the "hack" with empty battery on the road is no fun.
BTW In Canada there is an recall for that malfunctioning relay.

On my 2014 I could only find one fusebox in the engine compartment.
The fusebox lid identified the relay as R5 and an image like the dashboard engine check light.

Hi Pilot. Not being technical ( do you have a 'screen capture program' that has arrows to point out just where the relay is actually located in the fuse box? ( example" I use "Screenrec" It allows one to ass text , arrows etc.
1714758706044.png

This morning we were left stranded in the middle of Sicily when, after driving around 100 miles, we stopped for a short break, and the car never started again.

Started getting "ev system service required", with the car not going into ready mode. A booster and jump leads didn't help, tried both to the fuse box under the hood and directly to the aux battery in the booth.

Disconnected the battery and reconnected it, however the error was still there.

Any experiences with issues similar to this?

Rest of the electrics work fine, tailgate, windows, radio, and the battery reads 12.5v.

Best,
Justin
Had the same with our 2020. We'd stopped and were in Accessories mode listening to Sirius for a couple of hours - all hell broke loose on the dash with EV and other system failure notices, and wouldn't start. Waited about three hours, then turned the ignition on, off, open/close drivers door, repeat two more times, and the system reset and the car started. Drove it straight from there to Dealer's where the next day they advised it with the 12v Battery had depleted to below it's preset minimum which triggers cripple mode. Battery tested to original spec when recharged and no problems since.
Net take away, don't run your 12v system too long without charging...

Hi Pilot. Not being technical ( do you have a 'screen capture program' that has arrows to point out just where the relay is actually located in the fuse box? ( example" I use "Screenrec" It allows one to ass text , arrows etc.
View attachment 1271
Hi. Sorry, It was lazy of me to not use an arrow. Screenrec doesn't load on my mac so I used preview which is rubbish for this. Your left pick is bang on . The right one is a bit out.

Inside the lid of the relay boxes are graphics. The car is now with my son in the UK and I live in the channel islands. I got him to take pictures of the graphics showing the location. Our car is a 2014 model and I know other versions have different fuseboxes so the location and description may not match. The relay in the box on the left of the engine bay is apparently the transmission lock control. R11. You're going nowhere if this one fails. The relay in the right hand box, R5 controls the ICE ECU. If it stops working you can drive but only using what's in the traction battery. The graphic is a bit confusing for this box but the arrow in your pic nails it. Both generate a whole bunch of unrelated errors if they fail. Hope that's a bit clearer.1703938636032.JPEG

Attachments

• 1703938636075.JPEG
    1703938636075.JPEG
    153.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1697881984584.JPEG
    1697881984584.JPEG
    533.9 KB · Views: 0
I found the second fuse box on my 2014 RHD.
I eventually found the "fuse box locations" in the handbook, I'd only found the "fuse location tables" section.
Both tables agree with Pilot's images.

I've had this issue justin. Do you have a way of private messaging me so I can tell you what needed doing? Mine was the same just happened out of the blues after I parked. I'm from Malta as well

Back